CLickN KIds: Click, Learn and Read Discount School Supply - Same Day Shipping

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

HEMORRHOIDS DURING PREGNANCY

It is said that hemorrhoids occur mostly from mid to late pregnancy.  However, they can surface anytime.  Constipation often leads to hemorrhoids.  And as I previously discussed in a previous post, constipation too can happen at anytime.

The increased volume of your circulation causes dilation of veins in your rectum and vagina.  There is lots of added pressure from your growing uterus and the weight of the baby.  That is why it is said that hemorrhoids are more common later on in pregnancy.

Things you can try to try to avoid hemorrhoids are:

  • First, try not to become constipated.  Constipation will make hemorrhoids all the more painful.  Make an effort not to strain during a bowel movement.
  • Use the pelvic floor (Kegel) exercises to strengthen the muscles around the vagina and anus.  Tighten this part of your body and hold it for a few seconds, then relax slowly.  Try doing this at least 40 times a day, gradually increasing up to 100 times or more, per day.
  • Ice packs may help ease the pain.  This also works for varicose veins of the vagina as well as for rectal hemorrhoids.
  • Witch Hazel may be soothing.  Soak a clean cloth or gauze square and hold it on your hemorrhoids for 20 minutes while you rest.
  • Ask your health care provider if medication such as Preparation H would be appropriate for you at this time in your pregnancy.  To my knowledge, Preparation H is safe the entire time, but you want to ask to be sure.
Hemorrhoids can be EXTREMELY painful.  With my last baby, I got them so bad at the end of my pregnancy, that nothing would help me.  I couldn't sleep.  I could hardly even walk or take care of my other children.  I tried every thing over the counter known to man.  I even tried home remedies.  And there are some crazy ones!!  My doctor prescribed me a cream (Proctofoam), but that didn't work either.  I ended up having to have surgery.  So I urge you to speak with your health care provider if the things that he/she recommend are not working.  You may need more help!

No comments:

Post a Comment